Gmail is a highly popular app that both iPhone and Android users love to use. However, the app may not work all the time smoothly. They are occasionally bothered by problems like Gmail notifications not working. This issue hinders users from receiving alerts for incoming emails. Through push notifications, you always stay updated about the latest emails n your inbox. If this function does not work, you can miss out or forget important emails. It can also cause a communication delay.
But irrespective of whether you use a browser like Google Chrome or access the app through your phone, you can use several measures. They will help you to correct the settings of your phone and browser effectively.
Also Check:- Why Gmail Not Receiving Emails
Fix Gmail Notifications Not Working Problem on iPhone
You may find Gmail notifications not working on iPhones because of various reasons. You might not have enabled it on your device or app, or there are excessive corrupt files in your iPhone.
Besides, a bug in the Gmail app can also prevent notifications from working. Follow these measures to rectify the problem.
1. Check That You’ve Enabled Gmail Notifications on Your iPhone
It’s best to begin with some simple checks. You can inspect if you have enabled notifications for Gmail as follows.
- Go to ‘Settings‘ followed by ‘Notifications.’
- Now pick ‘Gmail.’
- Ensure that the ‘Allow Notifications‘ option is toggled on.
- That’s it; you can now choose how you wish to get email notifications. They can be displayed on your lock screen, as banners, or in the notification center.
2. Configure Notification Settings Inside Your Gmail App
If you’ve not received the desired result from the above measure, try setting an app-level alert within your Gmail application. Here are the steps to follow.
- After launching the Gmail app, tap the menu icon.
- Now scroll down to choose ‘Settings.’
- In the subsequent screen, choose your email account from which you are not receiving notifications.
- Scroll down and choose ‘Notifications.’
- You will find four options for getting alerts. These include:
- All new mail – This option is to get alerts for every single mail.
- Primary only – It sends alerts for emails you get in the primary tab.
- High priority – This option will send you email alerts that Gmail thinks are very important based on your previous usage.
- Choose a specific option.
3. Set a Fetch Time Interval
Are you searching for “Gmail notifications not working 2022” on the web? Well, here’s a good fix you can use on iPhones and iPad.
- Launch ‘Settings‘ on your iPhone and tap ‘Passwords & Account.’
- Next, tap ‘Fetch New Data.’
- Touch the email account from which you cannot receive notifications.
- Then choose ‘Fetch.’
- Hit the ‘Back‘ button and configure a ‘Fetch time interval.’
NOTE: You will realize that the problem of not getting Gmail notifications actually stems from having a more frequent fetch. We recommend you use this fix on the official Gmail app.
4. Read Gmail Account
When you read the Gmail account on your iPhone, it removes junk and corrupt files. Follow these points to start your Gmail account fresh.
- Touch the profile icon and choose ‘Manage Accounts on this device.’
- You will see a toggle for switching Gmail. Enable it.
- Touch ‘Remove from this device and follow on-screen instructions.
Also Check:- Why Gmail is Not Syncing
How to Fix Gmail Notifications Not Working Issue on Android?
Almost every Android phone has a Gmail app installed. But if the notifications stop working, it can take you off guard and lead to a delay in an email exchange. Here are the resolutions you can take to address this problem on your Android phone.
1. Give Necessary Permissions to the Gmail App
You need to grant the necessary permissions to Gmail so that the app functions properly. Granting all permissions like those for contacts, cameras, media, and files will ensure that the app functions properly and gives you notifications.
- Press the Gmail icon for a couple of seconds and choose ‘App Info.’
- From the list, choose ‘Permissions.’
- Give all the required permissions and close the page.
- Now, see if you are getting notifications or not.
2. Enable Auto-Sync
Sometimes, the message may not get downloaded, so you don’t receive any alerts. It usually happens when the auto-sync functionality is turned off. You can enable auto-sync when you find Gmail notifications not working on Android.
- Navigate to your phone’s settings.
- Next, click the ‘Users & Accounts‘ option.
- Now, tap the Google icon.
- Toggle the option of ‘Sync Gmail.’
- Finally, start your phone again to ensure that all the modifications you’ve made are safe.
- When your phone starts, see if you can receive all notifications.
3. Turn On Notifications for Gmail
Sometimes, you can unknowingly disable notifications from the settings. So, an easy fix is to turn it back on. Here are the steps to switch on alerts for Gmail.
- Open the Gmail app.
- Now touch the three horizontal lines on the top-left portion.
- Tap the ‘Settings‘ option present at the bottom.
- Now, touch ‘General Settings.’
- Next, click ‘Manage Notifications.’
- Check if the ‘Show Notifications‘ toggle is turned off. If so, turn it on.
- Restart your phone to apply the changes.
4. Examine the Date and Time
You must set the date and time settings properly on your Android phone. Otherwise, you won’t receive Gmail notifications.
- Firstly, open ‘Settings.’
- Now scroll down and choose ‘System.’
- Here, touch ‘Date & Time.’
- Now opt for ‘Use network-provided time as well as ‘Use the network-provided time-zone.’
Also Check:- Why Gmail not working
Resolve Gmail Notifications Not Working Issue on Chrome
Google Chrome users often report notifications not working. You can use these easy solutions and rectify the problem.
1. Check If Notifications are Switched On in Chrome
It’s the first corrective step you must take. Check that notification is switched on in Google Chrome.
- Head over to Gmail.com and tap the lock icon. It will be present on the left side of the address bar.
- After that, select ‘Site Settings.’
- Now choose ‘Notification‘ so as to allow it.
- Now tap ‘Save Changes.
2. Let the Gmail Tab Remain Open
Gmail notifications work in a different manner on a PC as compared to the phone. To receive Gmail notifications on your computer, you need to keep the Gmail tab open. If you’ve opened a couple of different tabs, but Gmail isn’t open on any of them, you will not get the notification.
If you’ve added more than a single Google account on Chrome, you can get notifications for each one of them. But you must ensure that you have opened Gmail in at least one tab. If you feel that keeping your Gmail open is one of the tabs that is taking up space you can use on something else, pin the tab.
Just right-tap on the Gmail tab and choose the ‘Pin‘ option. Now, the Gmail tab will be pushed to the beginning of the list of tabs. It will take up much less space.
3. Turn Off Focus Assist
Focus Assist is functionality in Windows 10 through which you can enable a ‘Do Not Disturb‘ mode. If you have enabled this feature, it can be a primary cause of Gmail notifications not working on Chrome. You can find Focus Assist by going to ‘Settings‘ followed by ‘System.’
When you tap in ‘Focus Assist,’ it will turn blue. Disable it so that you can receive notifications.
4. Reset Chrome Settings
If you’ve tried everything but nothing has worked, it’s time to reset Chrome settings. Note that resetting will restore all the settings to their default values. So, if you are comfortable with it, you can follow the process for resetting below.
- Launch Chrome settings and tap the ‘Advanced‘ option.
- Navigate to ‘Reset and Clean up.’
- Tap ‘Reset settings to their original defaults.
Hopefully, now you can effectively troubleshoot Gmail notifications not working on your phone or browser. Fixing the problem is not very difficult, but if it still persists, connect with expert email technical support services. The experts are there 24/7 to assist you with all your email issues.