Outlook is full of advanced features that make it most flexible. One such feature of Outlook is Auto Archive, which helps manage the space in your mailbox by automatically repositioning the items to an archive location on the system. It also organizes the space on the email server by doing the same. It makes Outlook more clean and speedy. The archived items will store in the PST files, .i.e, Outlook Data Files. You can find the archive folder at C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Outlook files\Archive.pst. However, users experience that Outlook Auto Archive not working correctly or goes missing. It can be due to various reasons, which we explain to you through the medium of this blog. We also present to you the troubleshooting methods to fix the issue. Let’s start with the causes.
Why does Outlook Auto Archive not Working?
If the auto archive not showing in Outlook 365, it can be due to the below-listed reasons, have a look at them.
- When the PST files are corrupted.
- Due to the improper configuration of auto-archive settings.
- When you enable the Online Archive with Exchange server 2010, that disables the client-side archive.
- After the update of KB2412171
These are the significant reasons why your auto archive is missing or not working. Now, let’s move toward the solutions that can eliminate it.
Outlook Auto Archive Not Working – Solutions
The Outlook Auto Archive feature cleared the Outlook mailbox to create space and saved the files on your system in the PST formats. But when the auto archive feature is not working, then before asking the experts “how do I Auto Archive in Outlook 365“, you should try these solutions.
Configure Auto Archive Settings
As mentioned above, improper configuration of the auto archive settings may cause Outlook auto archive not working. So to fix this, configure Outlook 365 archive settings properly with the following steps:
The Auto Archive settings are different for Outlook versions; we will provide you with all.
If you are using Outlook 2007
- Open Outlook.
- Go to the Tools menu.
- Click on Options and choose Other.
- Click on Auto Archive Settings and configure the settings.
For Outlook 2010, 2013, and 2016 versions
- Open Outlook and click on File.
- Click on Options and choose the Advanced tab.
- Choose Auto Archive Settings and modify the settings.
- Now, select the AutoArchive Run every XX days checkbox.
- After that, check the Prompt before Auto Archive Runs checkbox to receive a notification when the Auto Archive happens.
- Here, check the following checkboxes.
- Delete expired items (email folders only)
- Archive or delete old items
- Show archive folder in the folder list
- Now, you have to choose the “Permanently Delete them” or “Move Old Items to an Archive File” option.
- After selecting the option, click on OK.
Uninstall Update KB2412171
The update KB2412171 on the Microsoft 2007 makes the version of the 2007 Outlook auto archive not working. To fix the issue in Outlook 2007, you have to uninstall the Microsoft Office updates with the following steps:
Important: The update KB2412171 issue is already resolved by Microsoft. But, somehow, if it creates a problem, follow the steps.
- Go to Start.
- Click on Control Panel.
- Then, choose to Uninstall a Program from the Programs section.
- Now, choose Update for Microsoft Office and click on Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to remove the update.
Disable Online Exchange Archiving
Enable the online archive with Exchange 2016, 2013, 2010, or Office 365 disables the Outlook desktop archiving. Thus, Outlook auto archive not working issue occurs. To resolve this, you must disable this online Exchange archiving with the following steps:
- Firstly, open the Exchange Admin Center (EAC).
- Then Sign in to your MS Office 365 account and click on App Launcher Icon.
- Click on Admin.
- Now, click on Admin Centres from the left panel and then the Exchange option.
- After that, under the EAC, click on Recipients and then Mailboxes.
- Later pick a mailbox you want to archive and under In-Place Archive, click on Enable option. It will disable online Exchange archiving.
However, if you fail to disable the online Exchange archive, ask the Administrator to disable it for your mailbox.
Repair Corrupted Archive.pst Files
When the archive.pst files get corrupt, your Outlook auto archive not working means Outlook will not be able to create any archive file. You can repair these corrupted archive.pst files with Inbox Repair Tool (Scanpst.exe). Follow the given steps:
- Firstly, close the Outlook program.
- Go to Start and type Scanpst.exe in the search field. Or go to the given location
- Outlook 2019: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- Outlook 2016: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- Outlook 2013: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15
- Outlook 2010: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14
- Outlook 2007: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
- Now, double-click on the Scanpst.exe files to Launch Inbox Repair Tool.
- After that, click on Browse to choose the PST files to scan.
- Click on Start to begin the scanning procedure.
- When the scan completes, click on Repair to restore the files.
The scan will create a backup while repairing the files. You can modify the name and location of the backup file.
Check Group Policy
When your Outlook Auto Archive not working or missing, the auto archive may be disabled by the Admin due to Group policy. You should contact the Administrator and ask regarding the same. An EDB admin also tells you where to store the data.
Examine AutoArchive Exclusions When Outlook Auto Archive Not Working
A mailbox can’t be archived if it is excluded from the AutoArchive function. You can find the Assign Policy option from the Home tab. It will help you set an Archive Policy for a particular item or folder by clicking on File>>Properties. If the checkbox of “Do not AutoArchive this item” is selected, the mailbox item won’t be archived. You have to disable it, and the selected items will be archived automatically.
Read Also- How To Fix Outlook Disconnected Problem
In the end, the Outlook Auto Archive not working; the issue falls due to improper settings, Microsoft update KB2412171, or corrupted PST files. You can follow the above steps to resolve the problem and create a backup before performing the solutions. However, if you want expert help enabling the Auto Archive to work, contact Support For Emails’ experts, to get immediate assistance. Thank You!